5 Hot Toddy Recipes for Basic B*tches Like Us
Because you need more than Lizzo to get you through the cold, dark winter nights.
Surprise, b*tches! Fall is back, which means it's sweater season and flu season and back-to-school season (which means SUPER flu season). You think autumn is all about cute ankle boots, pumpkin spice, and Instagramming pictures of trees? You're wrong. We bet you're either cold or infectious right now, as we speak. Even if you're not and you're wrapped in the warmth of your rescue cat's fur or Lizzo's beams of love, you could use a hot toddy. Some believe it cures common colds; others believe it cures loneliness and despair during dark and lonely winters. Who cares! Everyone could use a hot toddy.
The only question is whether you're a proud, basic b*tch who pours the bourbon straight into your Starbucks cup or whether you actually own a set of measuring spoons in your kitchen junk drawer. For every level of cocktail craftsman, we have the best recipes for you.
Plain "Hot Toddy" (from Epicurious)
Honestly? If you manage to screw this one up, you must've mistaken a bee for a spoon, or something. It doesn't even have tea; it's literally water, bourbon, honey, and lemon. How to you prepare this drink? Wait for the full moon, and then sacrifice a small chicken on an alter to Beelzebub. What do you think you do? Mix it in a mug and chug until all your demons go away.
- 1 oz (2 tablespoons) bourbon
- 1 tablespoon mild honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup boiling-hot water
- Put bourbon, honey, and lemon juice in a 6-ounce mug. Top off with hot water and stir until honey is dissolved.
Hot Toddy with Tea (from The Spruce Eats)
The Spruce Eats
Alternatively, you can mix your alcohol with caffeine like a grown up. Sure, caffeine can dampen your buzz, but keep to your limits and know how toasty you're aiming to get, and you'll be alert but blissfully sleepy.
- 1 1/2 ounces brandy (or whiskey, rum)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice (fresh; to taste)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tea bag
- Boil water
- Brew the tea in a separate mug
- Fill the bottom of your mug or glass (preferably a fancy Irish coffee glass) with honey
- Add liquor
- Add lemon
- Add tea
- Stir well
Hot Toddy with Apple Cider Vinegar (from Inspired Taste)
For a stronger tart taste, try incorporating apple cider vinegar into your favorite warm beverage. Like family members, it's sour but satisfying and somewhat fills the void where the meaning of your life should be.
- 1 ounce dark rum or bourbon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pure honey
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, optional
- 1/4 cup hot water or brewed tea
- Lemon slice
- Put honey, lemon juice and the apple cider vinegar in a warmed mug. Add hot water or hot tea and stir until the honey has dissolved. Add the rum or bourbon, stir then finish with a lemon slice.
Cinnamon Whiskey Hot Toddy (from Tablespoon)
For the easiest added flavoring and flair possible, add a cinnamon stick. Truthfully, you could use cinnamon or honey flavored bourbon in addition to a cinnamon stick, and you'll feel like a master mixer without having done any hard work whatsoever.
- 1/4 lemon, juice only
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 oz. bourbon (or cinnamon or honey flavored bourbon)
- 6 oz. hot water
- Lemon slice, garnish
- Add lemon juice to a glass with honey.
- Pour in bourbon and stir together with cinnamon stick.
- Pour hot water over cinnamon stick into the glass. Let steep for 5-6 minutes.
Chili Cinnamon Hot Toddy (from Minimalist Baker)
You're spicy. You're edgy. Sometimes, you don't recycle or say "excuse me" after you belch at the table. This drink is for you, with not just cinnamon spice but the kick of chili pepper. The only drawback is that this has an extra step of heating your own fancy "spiced cinnamon maple simple syrup," which means that it's probably the best recipe to try once you've imbibed one or two servings of a simpler recipe and you're feeling reckless enough to play with fire.
SPICED CINNAMON MAPLE SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1 cup maple syrup (or other sweetener of choice, such as cane sugar or honey if not vegan)
- 1 cup water
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 medium lemon (juiced)
- 3-4 Tbsp spiced maple simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon (rye or traditional // 2 ounces equals ~4 Tbsp)
- Hot water (to fill)
- Lemon wedge + cinnamon stick (for garnish)
- Add maple syrup, water, cinnamon sticks, chili, and red pepper flakes to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes - 1 hour (or longer). Strain and pour into a glass jar for serving.
- To make a single toddy, add the juice of half a lemon, 3-4 Tbsp Chili Cinnamon Maple Simple Syrup, 2 ounces bourbon, and hot water to top (use less water for a stronger drink, more water for a weaker drink).
- Garnish with another cinnamon stick and lemon slice or wedge and serve. The longer it steeps the stronger the cinnamon, lemon flavor becomes.
- Repeat for more drinks or make a large batch to serve a crowd by simply multiplying ingredients by number of drinks you need.
- Hot Toddy Recipe ›
- Hot Toddy Recipe - Allrecipes.com ›
- Your Drunk Aunt Was Right: The Hot Toddy Is The Cure To The ... ›
- How to Make a Hot Toddy - The Best Hot Toddy Drink Recipe Ever ›
- Classic Hot Toddy Recipe - Cookie and Kate ›
- The Classic Hot Toddy Recipe | Wine Enthusiast Magazine ›
- Hot Toddy recipe | Epicurious.com ›