You rinse and repeat. You dutifully book appointments for seasonal trims. You comb your hair from root to tip. But you’re still missing a step in your haircare regimen — scalp care.
That’s right. As unglamorous as it may seem, your scalp is where hair-magic happens. Your hair grows from your scalp — so why neglect it? Since the scalp is hidden by our locks, it’s out of sight, out of mind. But this approach might be undermining all things hair growth.
Scalp care has finally hit the mainstream, and it’s all the rage. Whether you’re aspiring towards Matilda Djerf-level locks or simply looking for healthier hair, look no further than your scalp.
Why is scalp health so important?
Scalp care is the new skincare. Many of us have a personalized, daily routine for our faces. Your scalp deserves the same love. In fact, the scalp is actually more delicate than your face. Although it’s obscured by layers of locks, it has a more delicate moisture barrier than the rest of the skin on your body. It has more sebaceous and sweat glands combined with hair follicles, making it a potential hotbed for bacteria.
Your regular haircare routine probably does little for your scalp. For healthier hair and faster hair growth, scalp care is the key to unlocking your best hair days ever.
Benefits of a healthy scalp:
From the moment you start addressing your scalp health, you’ll see — and feel — a difference. Potential benefits include:
- Stronger strands
- Shinier hair
- Softer hair
- Less itchiness/irritation
- Less hair loss
- Less dandruff/flakiness
Photo by Huha Inc. on
How to detox your scalp:
After a lifetime of neglecting your scalp health, you’re due for a serious detox. Build up of sebum, dead skin, and product is clogging up your strands — yikes! To flush out the residue, here are the steps to any effective scalp detox:
- Cleanse: Use a scalp-specific shampoo that’s free from sulfates, fragrances, and alcohol
- Condition: Strengthen and moisturize with a light conditioner — Less is always more
- Scrub: Treat your scalp as you would your face with a combination of physical and chemical exfoliants. Glycolic and salicylic acids are fantastic for your scalp
- Massage: Try a gentle scalp massaging tool to clear out scalp residue and promote blood flow
- Mask: Replenish your strands with a scalp-specific hair mask — Try a clay mask for oily scalps and a hydrating mask for dry scalps
- Oil: Nourish your scalp with oils to add moisture and rebalance your scalp health — The right oil is a game-changer for overall hair health
What ingredients should you look for to maintain a healthy scalp?
Just like your skin has different types and concerns, your scalp needs the same personalized attention. You might have an oily scalp or a dry scalp that’s prone to flakiness. For optimal hair health, tailor your product choices to your specific scalp needs.
For oily scalps, rebalancing your scalp with an oil can help regulate sebum production. You should also look for a moisturizing shampoo and mask to retain your strangs’ moisture. For flakiness, focus on deep cleansing your scalp with detoxing and anti-bacterial ingredients.
And where there is a beauty trend, there is a slate of beauty brands ready to step in and solve all of your problems. For every budget, there are exciting new products on the market that will help you get a squeaky-clean scalp for longer, healthier hair.
All products featured are independently selected by our editors. Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.